Wednesday

Artefact #4 second draft

After showing my fourth artefact to a group of volunteers I found that the interface was quite confusing and they didn't feel that what they wanted from the application was properly reflected, so I simplified the menu's and removed some of the original options to give a better user experience.




Home landing page when app is launched
Main Navigation Page
Ticket purchase and information page
Calendar page, dates with events are circled. Tapping on an event will lead to the ticket purchase/info page for that event.
Offers page. Each link will bring the user to a new page with relevant offers.
 Current track page. To break up the pages more I decided to combine this as a landing/menu page to find the previous tracks and also to request songs.

Socialise page/menu. Although a check-in service wasn't an overly desired option within the application, a rewards service was, this would work through the check-in so it has been included in the social menu.

Artefact #4

As I have been researching QR codes as a means of interacting for club nights I began to think about how they could be used in the environment such as allowing for image uploads or downloads. This lead me on to think of how an application could be used to promote a club and increase interactivity. I carried out a short survey to find out what would attract users to download and use an application for a venue. From the results which can be found here I designed a hypothetical application which would be used on smart phones. Generally people were most attracted to the idea of being able to purchase tickets, get discounts and offers and rewards for attending frequently. The least desirable option was a blog with downloadable content, which only one person wanted from the application.

  
 

Tuesday

Sky Arts #2



Carrying on from the previous Arts Ident I decided that I'd like to look more at After Effects and how I can manipulate imagery to create something new. From my research project I had been looking more at QR codes and I wanted to try and incorporate these into moving image in my research project and so extended this to my client work too. Through my research I didn't come across any moving imagery in advertising where the entire peice is composed of a barcode and manipulated. I did however come across artist Scott Blake who creates portraits from barcodes, which can be scanned and link to interactive art peices.

Thursday

Artefact #3

QR Hacking (Artefact #3 Continued)



During my research into error correction I found a website which allows for QR's to be hacked. When looking into how this worked I found that up to 30% of a code can be edited and a phone will still be able to recognize and comprehend the data within. Obviously as more of the code is changed the more tempramental it will be but I found that in all the cases of scanning different codes myself and my volunteers came across no problems and had a 100% success rate. Below are the codes they were asked to try.




Wednesday

Sky Arts #2



Carrying on from the previous Arts Ident I decided that I'd like to look more at After Effects and how I can manipulate imagery to create something new. From my research project I had been looking more at QR codes and I wanted to try and incorporate these into moving image in my research project and so extended this to my client work too. I personally haven't seen anything like this before used in advertising where the entire peice is composed of a barcode


Thursday

Sky Arts #1

For my first Sky Arts potential submission I created a light painting based upon my research. Which can be found here.



This idea originally came from my research for club night visuals. I was inspired by the lighting effects used in the footage I was watching and decided I wanted to reflect this in my client work in some form. During my research I came across long exposure shots which created 'light paintings'. Through various experiments I found that I could achieve this effect using a timed flash and 7second exposure time on my camera. I originally intended to use a separate flash which was controlled however due to money I couldn't use that. To compromise I ended up using the flash on my phone which when set to an interval worked really well and allowed me to get the desired images. I would have liked to have experimented with a proper flash but as I didn't, I can't compare the results. The backdrop of the logo came from my location research - when I decided on the light painting I needed an area which was well lit in low light, wouldn’t be too busy as I would be taking long exposures and need there to be little interference and as I had to bring the home made light boxes with me the location needed to be easily accessible by foot. I considered the Arboretum and various places in the city centre but ultimately decided on the steps of Newton building as the lighting worked really well and allowed me to get the result I wanted. I took the background image on a long exposure then attempted to use the light boxes to create the logo, however when I was using them outdoors I just couldn't get the same effect as my initial experiments. To rectify this I decided to retake the logo shots at home and digitally composite the logo moving in after effects. I used Photoshop and after effects to initially help the logo to look as if it was part of the original image, and then to animate the letters to be inconsistent and have a DIY aesthetic. Overall I'm pleased with the final outcome, it would have been more satisfying to use all original images rather than have to composite but I've wanted to get more familiar with After Effects and this forced me to experiment and get used to the program.