Thursday

3d rationale.

Personally I feel that 3D was the area I struggled with most. The brief of a lair I found really appealing but in reality it was so much different than what I expected. I went through alot of ideas of what I wanted it to be. At first I looked into films with memorable settings, Willy Wonka (the original, of course), Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton's version) and Harry Potter. These films all rely quite heavily on the audiences reaction to the imagery. Largely I feel as they have all been adapted from books. These influences as a starting point made me want to do something which felt magical, and away from reality. I then looked more into specific artists. A large influence was Tim Walker, a photographer who's imagery relies heavily on our pre concieved idea's of fairytales and the stereotypes associated with them. Eugenio Recuenco was another photographer I looked at who uses similair subject matter, with a darker outcome. I began to sketch out ideas after collecting like, 100000000000000 photo's I could some how possibly relate to what I wanted from my final piece. Also during this time I started to imagine who was going to be my hero or villain. This captured my imagination a bit, and I was thinking about what I wanted to create first, and secondly how I could relate the ojects to my character. I finally decided on the tooth fairy. I wanted a character which lived in a huge spire, with a massive moon outside, with a lightswitch that could change from day to night, a huge clock. Lots of plush areas, and a Willy Wonka-esque room. Cause of course the Tooth Fairy has a sweet tooth. (ok maybe this character was based on me as I have a mad sleeping pattern - I blame this course, thanks - and a sweet tooth but whatever, ideas were flowing.) When it came to the design of my room I struggled, quite a lot, I don't know if it was lack of knowledge, or lack of motivation to go and find the information that would help me to create my piece. I found myself giving up everytime I came to a slight hurdle with 3dsmax, first of all I struggled to extrude walls, then objects were impossible to get to grips with, then lighting then this, then that, then blah blah blah, and I lost patience, which I'm really kicking myself for, because about 2 days before the project was due, I kind of realised what 3D was all about and why it wasn't working for me. I may not have learnt a great deal about 3DS Max from the 5 week project, but it's definately helped me to realise that I can't be good at everything and that some parts of this course I will struggle with more than others. It also made me realise that a job in 3D will 99.9% never be my life time achievement.

No comments: