Monday

Music video's

Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed
Directed by OneInThree

 
Ellie Goulding, "Starry Eyed" from Neon Gold Records on Vimeo.

I don't know what my opinion is on this video really. I'm gonna watch it a few more times then make a verdict. Cause I do like the song, and I don't mind her herself..... Ok.. so far pro's are -
  • Bluey tint - always a plus in my books
  • Possibly dodgy effects executed well and don't look cheaptastic
  • She herself doesn't look overprocessed
  • I want to live in that house
  • Mix of old/new. Dated setting, with modern twists through out
Cons............
  • Bit boring...
  • Bit samey as other things
  • Bit Lady Gaga-esque but not quite hitting the mark
  • Bit "just look at the camera emotionally and tell the story through your face"-y
...Bit gutted cause I wanted to love the video but I can't make myself.
It is basically just looking at the camera though, and I think that they could have done something different with it.. Like starting out black like they have already.. then her possibly wearing some black, glittery contraption and her movements being caught in the light? A person symbolising who she's singing about there also? Maybe rather than her standing around like a pleb the video the story is told through the dancers? Who knows.. they could have done more, but they didn't.

Passion Pit - Sleepy head
Directed by The Wilderness 

Passion Pit, "Sleepyhead" from Neon Gold Records on Vimeo.

"Practically shot and painstakingly put together with photographs and real objects, the concept of this video was that "of creating a light space modulator — a mechanical, kinetic sculpture that demonstrates and harbors movement and light."


It looks like it was a total ball ache to make as well, but I think it pays off. You kind of just watch it and become engrossed cause the song itself is kind of hypnotizing/eerie and the fact that what you are shown keeps changing, you watch it thinking whats coming on next? I like also how the song starts with "and everything is going to the beat" it gives meaning to the rhythm of the video. I think a nice touch would have been to zoom out at the end and see the contraption as a whole, as if it was all made from one piece (even if it wasn't). Just for the visual.


No comments: